Sunday 11 March 2012

Mikkeller Burger & Bun L.A. Lager

Good afternoon all. It's been a gloriously sunny day here in Guildford, but I haven't been able to enjoy any of it as I've been relegated to my desk trying to get through the introduction to my final year dissertation. Yesterday was quite the busy day in regards to beer- mainly because it was so dull in every other context- so expect a few reviews in quick succession over the rest of the day. The first beer was Burger & Bun L.A. Lager from Mikkeller, a beer that I picked up almost a year ago from The Bottle Shop (http://www.bottle-shop.co.uk/). It's been catching my eye ever since I bought it, and I finally gave in and got out the bottle opener. Review after the pic....


Burger & Bun L.A. Lager (5.0% ABV) pours an amber colour with a decent white head. There's some early lacing and the beer itself is slightly opaque. The aroma is much hoppier than I was expecting, with grapefruit, citrus, malt, honey and a floral character. Every so often the sweetness manifests itself as a caramelised, burnt sugar aroma, which works well with the tropical fruits from the hops. The taste consists of malt, light citrus fruits, bittering hops and a vinous quality. The finish is crisp with a very light bitterness and a fruity aftertaste. The mouthfeel is well carbonated and surprisingly thick. Overall, a very nice lager with plenty of fruity hop flavours and aromas. I would say it's closer to a pale ale with the extra hops, but the well-rounded crispness and light bitterness in the finish justifies the name. Well, that and the weeks of cold storage! Definitely recommended if you're in the market for a refreshing lager with a difference.

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment