Saturday 17 March 2012

Nøgne Ø Wit

Good evening all. I hope everyone is having a good St. Patrick's Day and all that. So far I've spent the day drinking a few very good beers at a couple of interesting locations (Pittcue Co and Cask Pub and Kitchen), and my plan is to have an imperial stout later and maybe even a dram of whisky (Scotch of course, I can't help my allegiances!). The next couple of beers I'm going to be reviewing were consumed a few days ago, and have enough going for them to make sure they don't end up as footnotes in my tasting pad. The first is Wit, a Witbier from Nøgne Ø. Review after the pic....


Wit (4.5% ABV) pours a straw colour with a white head that retains itself well throughout the duration of the beer. The aroma is phenolic and spicy, with cloves, banana, malt and citrus. Sometimes this combination comes across as musty, but this effect diminished as the beer was consumed. The taste is also quite phenolic, with malt, light bittering hops, spice, citrus and wheat. The finish is very light and has a crispness to it, reminiscent of a lager. The mouthfeel is thick with moderate carbonation and some early lacing. Overall, a relatively interesting Witbier with some characteristic Belgian flavours and a very creamy mouthfeel. I wouldn't get it again, but it's definitely worth trying once.

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment